Stop Wasting Handshakes

Notes: Ramblings on The Stop-Wasting-Handshakes Manifesto - Lauren

Phone rings

Me - It's a great day, Danny Smith.

Caller - Danny, my name is Lauren. I'm a financial planner and Chris suggested I give you a call and set an appointment to come by and see you.

Me - Lauren, I'm backed up on some things for the next two weeks. Can you call me then and we'll set a time?

Lauren - thanks Danny, I'll do that.

Two weeks to the day later 

Phone rings

Me - It's a great day, Danny Smith

Caller - Hi Danny, this is Lauren. I called two weeks ago to get an appointment and you suggested I call back today.

Me - Hi Lauren. I remember, when's a good time for you.

This is a normal routine I use. I am usually backed up a bit, but normally, the caller doesn't call back.

Lauren did come in, she was extremely personable, professional and knowledgeable. We had a great conversation and I mentioned I might have a couple of people I'd introduce her to at a later date.

She thanked me for my time left me with a few of her business cards and parted.....

And nothing.

Normally, I'd send an email 2 or 3 days later thanking her for coming by, but I didn't in this case. Now, over 5 weeks later........nothing.

Lauren wasted our time. She wasted the handshake.

Surely the calls, the effort.........I guess she was only interested in making a sale.

Obviously a very short-term thinker and doer.




No comments:

Post a Comment