Stop Wasting Handshakes

Notes: Ramblings on The Stop-Wasting-Handshakes Manifesto

What I mean by "stop wasting handshakes" is really simple -

I don't particularly enjoy going out and meeting people........or at least that's what I used to think. Now, these days, it isn't as much of a pain......for some reason.

That reason, I've decided, is because I've come up with a process to follow-THROUGH with people.

How many business cards are laying in your trash can....errr...your desk draw...or on your desk? They're calling out to you. Aren't they?

They're saying.........I know you can hear them...

"why did you take me if you aren't going to do anything?"

Stop IT! Just stop wasting those introductions. Just stop wasting the time, effort and money it took to go to a luncheon or networking event.

That's what I was saying to myself and literally STOPPED GOING.

But then another guilt set in..............I needed to meet people. But I'd meet them...then what? What next? Connect on LinkedIn?....Call them?....and say what?....When? Immediately?...that seems like stalking.....I don't particularly like it that right after I meet someone they ask to connect with me on LinkedI, like my Facebook page or send me an email..........what are they doing - setting in their car? That's efficient but it sure seems invasive........I wonder if that's the way they date(d)?

So maybe I do enjoy meeting people just because I have a process to re-connect with them. 

To that end......make it a great day



Comment: this post is part of an ongoing brain dump that will hopefully be compiled in the near future

No comments:

Post a Comment